Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Among the Barons

Among the Barons. (Shadow Children #4) Margaret Peterson Haddix. 2003. 208 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: "Hey, L! Mr. Henricks wants to see you!"

Premise/plot: Among the Barons is the fourth book in Margaret Peterson Haddix's Shadow Children series. In this fourth book, Lee/Luke faces new challenges and dangers. Lee's 'brother' Smits has come to the boys school. His parents have sent him because he's been troubled the past few months. His trouble? His brother Lee is dead--remember Luke has assumed his identity in order to come out of hiding--and Smits can't talk about it with anyone, or grieve in any normal way. Luke/Lee finds himself pondering: what does this kid want from me? is he angry with me? does he want to expose me as a fraud? is he trustworthy? why does he want me for a brother when clearly we've never met? Smits does not come alone; accompanying Smits is his ever-present sledge-hammer-wielding bodyguard named Oscar. Luke/Lee soon finds his questions doubled. After a close call at school, the boys are called home. And...wait for it...Luke/Lee finds himself AMONG THE BARONS.

My thoughts: This series continues to hold my interest. The only book that I remembered clearly--at least so far--is the first book. So in a way, I feel like I am reading this series for the first time. I find myself getting swept up into the drama and mystery. I would definitely recommend this series if you're looking for a compelling, fast-paced read.

© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: