Thursday, October 26, 2017

Happy Dreamer

Happy Dreamer. Peter H. Reynolds. 2017. Scholastic. 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: I am a happy dreamer. I'm really good at dreaming. Daydreams. Big dreams. Little dreams. Creative dreams. Dreamer maximus!

Premise/plot: This book asks, what kind of dreamer are you?! It also encourages every reader to be true to themselves.

My thoughts: I really enjoyed this one. It thoroughly explores the subject. It isn't always easy. Sometimes the world wants to box you in, shut you up, tell you who to be and how to be. But dreamers have a way of bouncing back, moving forward, and finding their voice.

This one is a bit wordy. It's also a bit philosophical. I'm not sure if either of these would keep it from being a good choice for a read aloud. It probably depends on YOUR little one--especially in terms of long attention spans. Attention spans being one of the many things mentioned in the book itself.

I liked the book very much. I liked the message for the most part. I do think you have to learn how to function in the world in spite of having big, big dreams with a mind of their own. But there is always, always a place for dreaming.

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 4 out of 5
Total: 9 out of 10


© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: